What I Do
I'm a user experience (UX) designer and researcher in Philadelphia, PA. I'm currently a full time UX specialist at AWeber, and I previously worked at Happy Cog. I've designed and tested everything from "brochure" websites to mobile apps and complex web applications.
Speaking & Writing
I speak publicly, teach, and write about various UX topics. View slides from my talk Designing Experiences for Women or listen to a podcast (mp3) of the talk at SXSW Interactive 2012, which I gave with Brad Nunnally.
Speaking at Your Event
If you'd like me to speak at your event or conference, please contact me.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- UX Cambridge (UK) September 2013
- IA Summit 2013 (Flex Track) April 2013
- Intro to UX (Girl Develop It Philadelphia) / March 2013
- Pittsburgh Web Design Day / October 2012
- UX Camp Ottawa / October 2012
- Wharton Web Conference / July 2012
- Midwest UX / June 2012
- SXSW Interactive / March 2012
- Let's Encourage More Women in Tech to Speak Publicly / UX Brainstorm / June 2013
- Designing Experiences for Women / .net magazine / June 2012
- A Music Nerd Needs a Taxonomy / Happy Cog Cognition Blog / November 2011
- Designers are From Mars / Happy Cog Cognition Blog / June 2011
In 2009 and 2010, I held an officer position with PhillyCHI, a volunteer-run organization serving the Philadelphia user experience community. I worked with fellow officers to organize presentations and social events such as picnics and happy hours.
UX Book Club Philly
I organize book club meetings for UX Book Club Philly. The meetings are relaxed and informative. The author usually Skypes in to join the discussion.
As seen in the photo, we participated in a brainstorming exercise (affinity diagramming) at The Tactile Group's office in December of 2012. The December book selection was Gamestorming by Dave Gray, Sunni Brown, and James Macanufo.
- I enjoy drawing (hence this pepper) but I don't make much time for it anymore.
- I've always loved music. The past few years I've developed a taste for jazz, funk, and afrobeat.
- You can usually find me in my spare time with a book in my hands. Check out my reviews on Goodreads.
- I'm passionate about health and wellness and the impact of the industrial food system on our lives and our environment.
- I'm also a big fan of red wine and craft beers.